Watch This Lesson Together!
Ps; check lifepoint.online/kids for reopening details!
Read Matthew 6:7-10
7 And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.
9 “This, then, is how you should pray:
“‘Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
10 your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.
Family Discussion Guide
Say the point and Bible verse together
When I P.R.A.Y., I need to ASK God what He wants for me.
1 John 5:14 NIV
This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us.
1. What can I ask God for today? Answers vary; Idea’s: Help with school; Answers to things I’m confused about; to help those who are in need; for others to know Him etc.
Explain: God hears you when you pray, but you also need to ask God what He wants for you. He answers you quietly in your heart.
Take some time as a family and memorize this verse together.
1. What happened to Emily when she tried to solve the beep problem without asking God or anyone else for help? She got stressed out and couldn’t think about anything else. She could not solve the problem on her own.
2. What happened when Emily finally asked God for help and waited for Him to answer? God helped Emily calm down, take care of herself, and find out why the beep was important instead of being frustrated by it.
3. What is one reason why it’s important to ask God what He wants for us? Answers will vary; Idea’s: Because He knows what’s best; It shows that we trust and depend on Him; It shows our humility
4. Why dies God tell us we don’t need to babble in prayer? Because He already knows our needs before we even ask. Often times rambling is meaningless, but God wants us to have a real conversation with Him. He is near to us, so we can know He hears us when we pray.
1. Share something that has made you worried, stressed out, or angry. What questions can you ask God about it this week? I can ask Him to give me peace. I can ask to Him to show me what to do. I can ask Him to help me understand what is going on.
2. What will you do to get help from God and hear His answer in your heart? I will ask God to answer me. I will read my Bible. I will sit quietly and wait for God. I will ask other people who really love God and make good choices.
Ask your kids to share things they’d like to pray about.
Write down their prayer requests.
Pray together over the prayer requests.
Not sure what to pray? Pray this: God, I’m sorry when I have demanded things from you. I trust that you know what is best. When I’m confused or need help, may my first reaction be to turn to You for help. Help me to be patient and wait on You as I pray. May I always remember to ask what You want for me, and that Your will be done in my life. In Jesus name I pray, Amen.