Watch This Lesson Together!
Read Matthew 4:1-11 (NLT)
1 Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted there by the devil. 2 For forty days and forty nights he fasted and became very hungry. 3 During that time the devil came and said to him, “If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become loaves of bread.” 4 But Jesus told him, “No! The Scriptures say, ‘People do not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.’” 5 Then the devil took him to the holy city, Jerusalem, to the highest point of the Temple, 6 and said, “If you are the Son of God, jump off! For the Scriptures say, ‘He will order his angels to protect you. And they will hold you up with their hands so you won’t even hurt your foot on a stone.’” 7 Jesus responded, “The Scriptures also say, ‘You must not test the Lord your God.’” 8 Next the devil took him to the peak of a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory. 9 “I will give it all to you,” he said, “if you will kneel down and worship me.” 10 “Get out of here, Satan,” Jesus told him. “For the Scriptures say, ‘You must worship the Lord your God and serve only him.’” 11 Then the devil went away, and angels came and took care of Jesus.
Family Discussion Guide
Say the point and Bible verse together
Stay pure. Say, “No!” to sin.
1 Corinthians 10:13 NIRV
… But when you are tempted, God will give you a way out so that you can stand up under it.
Take some time as a family and memorize this verse together.
1. What is a temptation? When you want to do something that’s wrong
2. In the Bible story (Matthew 4:1-11), what did Jesus do each time the devil tempted him? He said a truth from the Bible and refused to do the sin.
3. What are some “ways out” God gives us when we’re tempted to sin? Bible verses, prayer, asking friends to help, leaving the situation, getting rid of things that tempt you, distracting yourself, etc.
4. If you give into temptation, what can you do to get back on the right path? Ask God’s forgiveness, and ask Him to help you say, “No!” next time.
1. What sins can you ask God to help you say, “No!’ to this week? Answers will vary. Ex; Lying, Cheating, Stealing, Name-calling
2. Which “way out” do you think will help you say, “No!” to sin this week? Answers will vary. Ex; Prayer, advice/help from Christian friends/family, Bible verses
Ask your kids to share things they’d like to pray about.
Write down their prayer requests.
Pray together over the prayer requests.
Not sure what to pray? Pray this:
God, thank you that you love us, even when we make mistakes. Please help us to follow Jesus’ example in the Bible when we face temptation. Give us the strength and wisdom to do what is right. In Jesus’ name, amen.