I am a big fan of our Worship Team at LifePoint.
They work hard and pray a lot to help us, LifePoint Church, worship our Lord each time we gather. The songs we sing together are songs about our life as followers of The Lord Jesus Christ. Songs that exalt our Lord and encourage our hearts. Please take a few minutes to consider a few reasons “Why We Sing” in our worship services.
1. We are told to sing to God – The Bible has over four hundred indirect references to singing and at least fifty direct commands to sing – here’s one:
…Sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs to God…
God is our audience, we as a congregation are the performers, and our Worship Team the prompters.
2. Heartfelt singing to God is a work of The Holy Spirit – A Spirit-filled Christian has a praise-filled heart toward the Lord.
… be filled with the Holy Spirit, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs among yourselves, and making music to the Lord in your hearts.
The Holy Spirit wants control of every area of our life – singing is one of those areas.
3. Singing helps us express our thankful heart to God – When the word of the Lord is proclaimed, and our hearts are touched, the Holy Spirit works within our hearts to respond in singing and praise with thanksgiving to God.
Let the teaching of Christ live in you richly. Use all wisdom to teach and instruct each other by singing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs with thankfulness in your hearts to God. Everything you do or say should be done to obey Jesus your Lord. And in all you do, give thanks to God the Father through Jesus.
God loves a thankful heart.
4. God Himself sings and it’s about you – We need to follow our Father’s lead.
For the Lord your God is living among you. He is a mighty savior. He will take delight in you with gladness. With his love, he will calm all your fears. He will rejoice over you with joyful songs.
5. Singing reminds me that my safety is in The Lord.
I will bless the Lord who guides me; even at night my heart instructs me. I know the Lord is always with me. I will not be shaken, for he is right beside me.
We live in a real crazy world, singing to The Lord strengthens my confidence in Him. Paul & Silas believed this when they were cast in prison fearing for their lives.
6. Singing to The Lord can be a witness to those around us – Paul and Silas believed this when they were cast into prison and not knowing if they would live to see another day on earth.
But about midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns of praise to God and the prisoners were listening to them.
7. Singing together promotes harmony, peace, and unity in The Church –
Dear brothers and sisters, I close my letter with these last words: Be joyful. Grow to maturity. Encourage each other. Live in harmony and peace. Then the God of love and peace will be with you.
2 Corinthians 13:11
Worship takes many forms and singing is one of those forms that honors our God, strengthens a believer’s heart, and points others to Jesus Christ our Savior.